AC power line question

John Teller jsteller at spottydog.us
Sat Jun 30 13:59:06 CDT 2012

Those are most probably some sort of potential indicator.  It's kind of
a weird circuit in that one end is physically connected to the MV line
while the other end is capacitively coupled to ground.  At those
voltages you don't need much current to flash an LED - which would
indicate that the circuit is live.

It's odd that the power company would put up something that flashes when
everything is powered normally, as this generally prompts calls from all
and sundry who normally associate flashing lights with problems.  I was
under the impression that power companies tended to use mechanical
devices that displayed a red or green flag and were driven by magnetic
flux developed around an MV line that was carrying current.

Here's a link to an image of an install of some current sensors
installed in Australia:

http://www.spottydog.us/pix/electrical/adelaide_install_lower_view.jpg

In this picture you can see the mechanical indicators - they are the
three devices attached near the dampers just beyond the disk insulators
(the line post insulators on top are actually the current sensors).
That's a three-phase delta system, which is why the transformer is
connected to two lines.

---JST