AC power line question

Chip Fetrow tacos at fetrow.org
Sun Jul 1 23:47:06 CDT 2012

It's been interesting.  Our power stayed on, but a block away, no
power.  Saturday, I never found a working traffic signal in Loudoun
County.  There was ONE in Fairfax County, at the county line.  Loudoun
did a great job directing traffic, but all Fairfax did was put up
cones and yellow plastic tape preventing left turns at intersections.

About 2/3's of the restaurants are closed, so the 1/3 operating are
swamped for two reasons -- they are the ones left standing, and so
many people have no electricity so they want to eat out for the cool
air conditioning and so they can eat cooked food!

I took my sick Prius to Rockville Saturday afternoon.  I like to
listen to a weak AM station on Saturday afternoons to laugh at Kim
Komando.  Normally there is a lot of power line hash interfering with
the station.  Not Saturday.  I had no idea it was as bad as it is.

Friday, about 5 PM, Comcast Internet went down.  Two hours later we
got the storm.  I kept being told the outage was because of the
storm!  We maintain one POTS line for reliability.  That went down
before the storm as well, but at least Verizon is not blaming it on
the storm.  It is still down, though Comcast came back at about 10 PM
Sunday.  Comcast kept telling me that falling trees took out many
cables, and I'm sure that happened, but the Internet went out, but the
cable TV stayed on.  They couldn't be made to understand it all comes
in on one cable.

The Verizon phone problem is interesting.  It MOSTLY seems we cannot
call other Verizon phones.  I can call my AT&T cell, for example,
however the AT&T phones won't work without the Internet at home
because the AT&T Micorcell they gave me won't work.

Now, imagine trying to report a phone outage to Verizon when you
cannot call a Verizon number!

Add to this that the HVAC failed, and I am still awaiting permit's for
the well(s) so we won't have AC anytime soon, and it has been one heck
of a weekend.

The good news is that had the power gone out, my little 2 kVA Honda
inverter portable could run everything (left) in the house, except the
stove.

Everyone stay safe.

--chip