A Skeptic looks at Alternative Energy

Mike O'Dell mo at ccr.org
Thu Jul 5 15:10:55 CDT 2012

Unfortunately, Bob, your conclusion about "switching" addictions is
equally true if "oil" is replaced with "water", "food", "antibiotics",
"plastics", or "computing", not just "natural gas".  Not all of them
for precisely the same reason, nor is my list anywhere near complete,
but each of them will be sufficient to be civilization-disrupting.

the important question is "Which one will get us first?"

i happen to believe at least one from my list will be catastrophically
disruptive of The World As We Know It well before the choice
of combustion-based energy systems becomes the forcing function.

Please note that I'm not impugning your enthusiasm and righteous
purpose, but rather I think that your concern becoming dominant
is grounds for hope because it will mean that we dodged all
the other bullets, each one at least as lethal if not more so.

	-mo