Phi PCIe SDR transceiver card

Terry Fox tfox at knology.net
Tue Jul 10 17:20:46 CDT 2012

Seems to have a few issues for general SDR usage, especially on HF.  Maybe
good for VHF/UHF/microwave.

It must be put inside a computer, with a PCIe x4 slot.  That's probably
needed for the high data transfer rate.  It also ONLY WORKS WITH LINUX right
now, and probably best with GNU Radio.

The dynamic range is poor.  In the data they say to order one of two
configurations, the "lab" version gets overloaded easily.  For some reason
it appears that they limit the decimation to a max of 32.  With only a
12-bit ADC, you would expect it to have a better range.  That's not even
enough for a decent spectrum analyzer.

It appears to operate only down to 35MHz with one version of the ADF chip,
or down to 140MHz with the other version.  So, this also leads me to believe
it has an analog front-end conversion stage that tunes the RF from 140MHz to
4GHz, which converts to an IF that is then digitized with the 12-bit ADC.

Very cool device for some specific apps, but not really for general amateur
SDR usage, especially for HF.  VHF/UHF and microwave could be real
interesting.  Wanna do some signal analysis with wifi or ???  I especially
like the 200MHz swath!

Last time I checked (6 months ago) they were not shipping yet.  It appears
that they are now shipping.  Good for them.

BTW, the openHPSDR group is about to open the floodgates on orders for the
Hermes boards.  Because of the cost, they and TAPR are using a different
approach.  There will be a small, one-time window that will open up for
orders, and a deposit (or full amount?) will be required upon ordering.
Then, the boards will be made, and sent to those who ordered.  The
TAPR/HPSDR folks are very specific that there will be only ONE run of Hermes
boards made, and there will be NO SPARES made.  Some bare-boards may be
available.

So, after waiting more than two years for Hermes, there will only be this
short, one-time opportunity.  I'm sure that someone else will pick up the
design after that.   I mention this here because Hermes costs about the same
as this Phi board (maybe $100 more), nut is much better for amateur radio
SDR work, especially HF.  There is ongoing work to build a spectrum analyzer
front-end for Hermes and Mercury (called Cyclops) that also used the ADF435x
in the front-end.  The down-side of the HPSDR designs is that up to now,
they have been limited to only about 200kHz of bandwidth.  Some work is also
being done to expand that.  Using serial lines for high-speed data on the
Atlas backplane always seemed short-sighted to me...

Then there's the HiQSDR board, available from Germany, based on James
Ahlstrom's DDC/DUC design.  I've got the parts and bare-board to build one.
Plus a new Russian DDC/DUC design just coming available....  lots of neat
SDR hardware (that I cannot afford!)
Terry, WB4JFI