Lessons From Recent Power Outages

Louis Mamakos louie at transsys.com
Thu Jul 19 15:11:30 CDT 2012

On Jul 19, 2012, at 3:42 PM, Mike O'Dell wrote:

> As RS knows,
>
> if you think Amazon goes for outrageous cheapness,
> you had best not look too closely at the GOOG.
> they buy completely untested memory, disks,
> and anything else where they can shave a farthing.
>
>    -mo

..and to beat my dead horse one last time, they can do this
because their applications have been architected to embrace
the notion of running on a fabric of diverse and redundant,
but individually less reliable platforms.  The loss of one
member from a cluster means less capacity, not failure.  In
many cases, it's more practical to throw more capacity at
the problem since the components are much less expensive.
The cheapness of the individual computers and their less
reliable nature isn't a bug; the lower cost is a feature.

You just need to have bought into these sets of assumptions
for your applications, too.

louie
wa3ymh