Fuses ratings

Chip Fetrow tacos at fetrow.org
Thu Jul 26 16:47:15 CDT 2012

This kind of system is now being used in come car models.  It isn't to
save weight, but to save the cost of copper, and the space in which to
run the wires.  Strangely enough, they are still switching grounds,
not hot side.  They are currently mostly using it for lights.

Regarding higher Voltage in cars -- that is on the table too, and we
will be seeing that soon.  We will have lights, radios and so on
running on a higher Voltage.

However, that higher Voltage will be no more than 48 Volts, and some
are pushing for 36 Volts, but I believe they will lose.  120 Volts is
totally out of the question (at least that is what I have read in the
IEEE publication).

The reason for 48 Volts is that it is under 50 Volts, the cut-off
Voltage for the requirement of armored or protected cable.  Anything
less than 50 is considered low Voltage, and can be run just like
todays 12 Volt wiring.  Still, the savings in wire gauge is
considerable, and the design of conventional starter motors is greatly
simplified.

The proponents of 36 Volts have a valid point regarding charging
Voltage.  Todays 12 Volt batteries are typically supplied with 13.6
Volts for charging.  If the same ratio for charging of 48 Volt
batteries holds true, the charging Voltage would be 54.4 Volts, above
the cut off for low Voltage wiring.  Of course, the loads could be fed
from a regulator, limiting the Voltage and eliminating the need for
armored wiring.

I have no horse in that race, I'm just reporting on what I have read.

--chip