Fuses ratings

Chip Fetrow tacos at fetrow.org
Thu Jul 26 18:40:04 CDT 2012

I have a portable Honda generator that actually generates DC, but that
is followed by an inverter that makes pretty pure sine wave AC.  It
produces several orders of magnitude less harmonic distortion that
most portable and even stand-by gen-sets.

This series of portable generators have an economy mode.  There is a
switch on them that reads "Full" in one position, and "Ecco" in the
other position.  In the Ecco position, the gas engine runs to match
the load.  In general, in my usage, it runs very slowly.

The problem is the refrigerator.  The first time we had an extended
outage, I decided that I would take the four hour recommendation and
connect the refrigerator.  When its thermostat called for cooling the
engine came to a very abrupt halt.  Not the moan normally heard from
an overloaded gen-set, but a stop like someone threw a large crowbar
into the gears.  I didn't ever want to hear that again as I am afraid
it might cause major engine damage.  So, I don't plug in the
refrigerator.  When enough time (about two to four hours) has gone by,
or someone has had the door open too long, I go outside, flip the Ecco
switch to FULL, then plug in the refrigerator.  I then go outside and
flip the switch to Ecco.  Once the refrigerator thermostat is no
longer calling for cooling, the engine will drop greatly in speed (and
noise), at which point I unplug it from the generator.

My first thought was to add a small capacity battery to the inverter
input to hold up the inverter until the engine could spin up, but a
339 Volt battery wouldn't be small, even if made up of AA cells.

My next thought was a feed forward idea you write about here.  The
idea would be to delay the compressor by five or ten seconds, while
the thermostat directly switches the generator to FULL.  Then, after
about 30 to 60 seconds, the generator would be allowed to go back to
Ecco.

I have no fear about modifying the generator, but a bit of concern
about modifying the refrigerator.  I suppose I could have a mechanical
switch to allow me to switch my circuit out...  I really DO like the
idea of the refrigerator not coming on right away when a power failure
is restored.  Already, my heat pump has a five minute time delay.  It
holds off for five minutes on power restoration.  My hot water heater
holds off for 20 minutes.  That will never be an issue because it is
super insulated and 80 gallons for two people.  I shut off the water
and the water heater when we leave home for more than a day.  We can
return home after four days out of town and still take a hot shower,
even though the hot water heater won't be on for a while.

I last bought a home HVAC unit in 1996.  Two stage compressors were
available, though not common on units 3 tons and up.  I wanted to down-
size my unit from 3 to 2.5 tons because I like low humidity in the
Summer.  Variable speed indoor air blowers were common.

Today, two stage compressors are very common, but inverter run
compressors are available if you don't buy the entry level units.
Having a 3 ton unit running at one ton can really help with both
energy costs and humidity.  Additionally, they make much less noise.

--chip