IEEE: Lack of Rain a Leading Cause of Indian Grid Collapse

Bob Bruhns bbruhns at erols.com
Fri Aug 3 15:49:41 CDT 2012

I think what the article was suggesting is that a shortage of rainfall
has increased the demand for pumped water, and a lot of water pumping is
done at night because regulations on power consumption are relaxed then,
and that would explain why the system overloaded at such a late hour.

 From what the unnamed senior electrical official said, there was
West-North power flow, but no East-North power flow.  Maybe there should
have been more East-North flow?  Or maybe that's impractical?

India evidently has several subgrids running unsynchronized (at very
slightly different frequencies), as we do in the US.  I see slightly
different "50 Hz"  frequencies displayed on the various grids - see the
External Links at the bottom of this article:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerGrid_Corporation_of_India

 From the size of the power blackout, I think they must have been
linking their subgrids.  They would have to synchronize them do that,
and maybe that makes syncing to a second subgrid impractical or
time-consuming?

    Bob, WA3WDR