Raspberry Pi and powered USB hub

Terry Fox tfox at knology.net
Fri Aug 24 22:32:02 CDT 2012

I’ve received on of my Raspberry Pi boards, and am playing with it.  I have it controlling a Softrock Ensemble RxTx via the USB port.  However, I’ve noticed that for some reason whatever is plugged into the USB hub that I use to expand the number of USB ports periodically “goes away”, that is the keyboard, mouse, and whatever else stop working for a short period, then comes back to life.

This happens with two different USB hubs, both are "”powered hubs” with separate power supplies.  The older one has LEDs that show enabled status, and those LEDs all go out at once whenever the problem occurs, then they light back up.  The newer hub (brand new) doesn’t have LEDs, but otherwise exhibits the same problem.

I am using the powered hub for only the keyboard and mouse, and have tried different keyboards and mice (meeces).  So, I doubt there is a problem with too much current being drawn.  Both hubs work fine on a regular computer.

Anybody else having problems with the Pi and powered hubs?
Terry, WB4JFI