The flight deck of the Discovery

Robert E. Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Fri Oct 19 08:46:03 CDT 2012

It is a little known fact that, while caffeine consumption is still
"strongly recommended" for the PIC on commercial flights, back before
the Federal Aviation Act of 1958 periodic doses of nicotine were
actually required for military and civilian test pilots.

Much like the return the the meatball (after years of the much-reviled
NASA Noodle), the inclusion of ashtrays in the Shuttle is a nod to the
golden days of aviation.

-r