HSMM and balloons

Phil philmt59 at aol.com
Sun Oct 21 09:17:45 CDT 2012

There is a long 'hidden history' of fatal accidents involving hydrogen in the pioneering days of ballooning. Although the majority involved ground-based fireballs before launch (more pioneer hydrogen balloonists died on the ground than ever fell out of the sky), people forget that these were the days when the hydrogen was generated at the point of use, usually by dropping ingots of magnesium into barrels of concentrated sulphuric acid - a somewhat hazardous procedure. However, we know that handling hydrogen is a difficult business - these are tiny molecules which cheerfully permeate metals, get into places where they shouldn't be and escape from where they should be confined.

Acetylene, by comparison, explodes with a much more violent shockwave.

What is needed is for scientists either to invent a lighter gas with no dangerous properties (why haven't they done that yet?), or to invent an ultra-lightweight, rigid material capable of supporting a vacuum - the perfect lifting void.

Phil M1GWZ