Resistance Value?

Richard O'Neill richardoneill at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 26 09:10:25 CDT 2012

Karl,

  If you eliminate all resistors except those between the two test
points you have three resistors that measure three ohms. Add four more
resistors (total of seven) to form a rectangle and the measurement will
be < 1.5 ohms. Add an additional seventeen resistors to form another
rectangle  and the resistance decreases to scarcely more than one ohm
between the test points.

  Add progressively more of those little buggers and the resistance
between the two test points continues to decline in ever decreasing
amounts. From that I theorized that as 'n' (number of resistors)
approaches infinity the equivalent resistance approaches one ohm. A
finite number of resistors may never quite decrease the equivalent
resistance to a value of one ohm but it sure does kick the heck out of
it. Good enough for guvment work. Heisenberg might have been proud. ;-)

Richard

PS. That's why Physicists are only worth two points (in the original
cartoon) while mathematicians are worth three. They take much longer to
get the answer.