Interesting non-linear effects

Andre Kesteloot andre.kesteloot at verizon.net
Fri Nov 9 22:28:34 CST 2012

On 11/9/2012 14:44 PM, Karl W4KRL wrote:
> [...]
>
> */The low cold resistance of a tungsten filament results in a marked
> inrush of current when the lamp is lighted. Though the current and the
> power consumption rise momentarily to values far above those of steady
> operation, the candlepower does not "overshoot" but rises gradually to
> its steady value. The relative magnitude of the initial surge of
> current and power depends to some extent upon the resistance and in
> greater degree upon the inductance of the circuit in which the lamp is
> connected. If the lamp is operated in an a-c circuit, the amount of
> the surge depends also upon the phase of the voltage wave at which the
> switch is closed. Oscillographic records of the starting of a 300-W,
> 120-V lamp, having hot-to-cold resistance ratio 15.5, showed a maximum
> surge crest current of 47 A in a circuit having 0.1 Ohm resistance and
> 0.04 Ohm reactance at 60 c. ..."/*

  Could we measure the real resistance of the filament by  --for
instance--  slowly heating up the light bulb in an oil bath , waiting
for the temperature to eventually stabilize ?
Then we would have all the time to measure the change of R vs. t, as
opposed to trying the record the transient at the point of turning ON
the bulb?
73
André N4ICK