Hackers and the US Power grid

Chip Fetrow tacos at fetrow.org
Fri Nov 9 22:50:41 CST 2012

It just astounds me that critical power generation and distribution
equipment is actually connected to the public Internet.

It seems incredibly stupid to me.

I did some work with Mitre several years ago.  They ran their internal
network with no connection to anything outside.  Of course, part of
what they do is DoD work.  I wanted to give them access to some of my
equipment so they wouldn't have to drive 60 miles to "adjust" things.
They told me they didn't have modems at all and were not allowed to
buy them.  I reached inside a cabinet, pulled one out and gave it to
them.  They got permission to instal it on a computer that had a new
OS install, and no connection to their network.

Now, why can't the power companies do the same thing.  Run an internal
network.  Seeing that they are the second biggest users of point to
point microwave (next to phone companies), it would seem trivial.

I had a discussion with a high level engineering manager with a power
company once and I stated that it seemed obvious to me that nuclear
plants were not connected to the public Internet and he turned white.

--chip