A tunable polarizer / optical antenna

3t3 3t3 at comcast.net
Fri Nov 23 18:13:44 CST 2012

New research at Rice University -

Nanorods can function as efficient optical antennas for use in improving
optical switches for faster data communications.

Liquid crystals in this homogenous phase block light from nanorods
turned one way, while letting light from nanorods pointed another way
pass through a polarizer to the detector.

The team at Rice University expects to be able to control light from any
nanostructure that scatters, absorbs, or emits light, even quantum dots
or carbon nanotubes. “The light only has to be polarized for this to
work,” said Link, who studies the plasmonic properties of nanoparticles.

The researchers said that what happened then was remarkable. When the
team applied as little as four volts to the electrodes, liquid crystals
floating in the vicinity of the nanorods aligned themselves with the
electric field between the electrodes while crystals above the
electrodes, still under the influence of the cover-slip coating, stayed put.

The new configuration of the crystals — called a twisted nematic phase —
acted like a shutter that switched the nanorods’ signals like a traffic
light.

“We don't think this effect depends on the gold nanorods,” Link said.
“We could have other nano objects that react with light in a polarized
way, and then we could modulate their intensity. It becomes a tunable
polarizer.”

http://www.kurzweilai.net/controlling-light-from-nanoparticles

--
     Terry McCarty