Tacos Digest, Vol 117, Issue 36

Mike ODELL mo at ccr.org
Sat Nov 24 10:41:45 CST 2012

who cares about the ham bands when everything that relies on GPS
for Positioning, Navigation, and Timing stops working.
that includes the new Air Traffic Control System using ADS-B,
all the telephony networks that use both frequency and timing,
precision agriculture that uses positioning to put just the right
amount of spray on exactly the rig plant, the offshore oil platforms
that rely on GPS for dynamic positioning to keep them over the
well-head lest they create another BP boo-boo, international
banking, stock trading, and a zillion other things that are now
hopelessly dependent on precision PNT services currently
supplied by GNSS, GPS the best current example.

the FAA was crying for an orthogonal backup almost 10 years ago.
that was going to be eLoran, but in a completely incomprehensible
act of galactic stupidity that eclipses everything else I've seen
nominated at the rock-stupidest thing done by the Obama
administration, in the name of saving 35 million ( notice the M!)
they spent 100 million dismantling all the US (and Canadian!)
Loran stations, all of which had just been upgraded for eLoran with
cesium clocks and new low-phase noise solid state transmitters.

that is so incredibly foo-ked (as my Italian buddy sez) there has
got to be more to the story, but is has been utterly ignored by the
mainstream media, that is until the little GPS jammer in the semi
on the Jersey Turnpike shut down Newark Airport.  and Lightsquared
wanted to blast GPS front-ends into GaAs vapor. Now people
are starting to ask questions about how we got so dependent on
GPS and what might be done about it.

    -mo

Sent from my iPad so please excuse the jammy fingers.