Just say no to driverless cars ?

Robert Stratton bob at stratton.net
Fri Nov 30 16:40:37 CST 2012

> Besides, once generally accepted, next thing you know commercial
> aircraft will be on auto pilot from takeoff to landing.

My certificate isn't an ATP (airline transport pilot), but I'm pretty sure that quite the preponderance of commercial aircraft are already on autopilot from at least the enroute phase through landing right now. Many, if not most company ops manuals require commercial flights to be conducted mostly on autopilot.

If you've ever felt that stairstep kick in the pants alternating with what feels like slight negative G forces when on approach in an Airbus, you know what I'm talking about.

Autoland pretty much works.

--Bob S.