Ultra Low Noise Transistor

fgentges at mindspring.com fgentges at mindspring.com
Sat Dec 1 18:41:28 CST 2012

tacoistas,

Today at tacos we were discussing a low noise transistor I found. It
comes from RF Micro Devices (RFMD).  They make a whole line of these and
I picked the SPF-5122Z.  You can find lots of information at

https://estore.rfmd.com/RFMD_Onlinestore/Products/RFMD+Parts/PID-P_SPF-5122Z.aspx?DC=25

The data sheet includes a sample PC layout along with the other info.  A
good writeup is at

http://www.rfmd.com/CS/Documents/SPF-5043(Z)_RFSPACEGlobalnetSPACEarticle_Jun07.pdf

I have ordered a bag of these and should have them by the next tacos
gathering.   You have to buy 25 minimum quantity at $2.23 each.   A pair
of these might make a very high performance HF loop antenna amplifier.
It makes a great 2 meter preamp and we are installing one at the Dulles
Amateur Radio Group repeater.  We shall see how it works out.  I am glad
to share these so don't feel you have to buy a bag just to try one out.

Frank K0BRA