Thermoelectric Generators

Chip Fetrow tacos at fetrow.org
Tue Dec 11 23:27:42 CST 2012

I have looked at various load shedding controllers for both the
generator, and for day to day use.

Virginia now has time of day and other metering plans for power.
These controllers will limit peak load during high cost hours to lower
the power bill.  Turning off the hot water heater for a while is
generally not an issue.  They will actually modify your clothes dryer
to allow it to continue to roll the drum and blow air, with the heater
elements off.  They will also disable the auxiliary heat and emergency
heat strips in your heat pump, and even disable the heat pump entirely.

Of course, using such a smart power controller can lower the needed
capacity of the generator too.  So far, I have yet to be convinced
that such a controller is a good investment, mostly because it takes
five to seven years to pay for itself.  I am also not sure how my
really smart dryer would react if its heaters are shut off.

Like you, I COULD do it manually, but I worry what would happen if I
were not home.  Only one thing happens if a generator occurs if it is
overloaded -- it stops.  That is not good.

I also want to take the water jacket heat and circulate it under my
sidewalks and driveway.  I have absolutely no problem with going off
grid for power in order to melt snow.  Using electricity from Virginia
Power to melt snow it just far too expensive, but generating
electricity in order to use the free heat to melt snow is a very nice
thing.

I once had a radio station generator off grid for 15 days -- big ice
storm.  I had to daily go to a gas station for diesel and pay for road
taxed diesel to run the generator.  The price of fuel, and the
required service once power was restored was well less than HALF of
the price of electricity from the coop.  I actually considered
installing two prime movers (main and alternate main, so we would have
a back up) to cut our energy costs in less than half, but all it would
have meant would have been MUCH more work for me, and no thanks from
management.  I actually did this near Seattle for a temporary
installation.  The cost of bringing in power to the site was just too
huge.

--chip