Thermoelectric Generators

Louis Mamakos louie at transsys.com
Wed Dec 12 12:55:10 CST 2012

On Dec 12, 2012, at 2:03 PM, Mike O'Dell <mo at 131.ccr.org> wrote:

> even some disk drives can now be configured to delay spin-up
> by a number of seconds based on the drive serial number.
> that way, in a data center with 50,000 disks, they spin up
> essentially randomly, over a few minutes.
>
>   -mo

A variation of this has been around for a while, at least for
"enterprise" storage drives.  I recall that some SCSI drives
would delay their start-up based on their SCSI bus address so
that all the drives in a chassis wouldn't try to spin up at the
same time.

Now with SATA drives with essentially dedicated ports per drive,
the serial number thing seems like a workable alternative since
the bus address trick is no longer available.

louie