idealCircuit simulator

wb4jfi at knology.net wb4jfi at knology.net
Sat Jan 5 18:02:09 CST 2013

Hello there Karl.  I did not see the LP filter design that you mentioned, but I believe the type of filter is an elliptical, or Cauer filter.  You can use the free filter design and analysis program from aade.com to design them.  I’ve used them for several years with DDS designs.  The AD9850 is pretty old technology these days, but the price is pretty good.  It’s output DAC’s resolution is not great, and it’s a power hog.  I was playing a lot with the AD9850, AD9851, AD9832, AD9833, AD9834, AD9835 for several years, driving them with PIC chips.  The newer AD995x and AD9912 are more iinteresting, as they have better DAC resolution, higher clock rates, and lower power requirements.  But, they have a harder package to use.

Typically, you can design a Cauer filter to not only provide a traditional low-pass function, but you can often tune the response for maximum loss at the DDS clock frequency (sample rate).  That helps to reduce the garbage seen from these older DDS devices.

One thing to keep in mind is that programming these devices requires 32-bit and sometimes 64-bit math, and sometimes even floating point.  The Arduino CPUs (except possibly the new Due) does not have a good math library.  It only has “float” types, no doubles (which causes poor accuracy).  Also, I’ve had problems (failures) in trying to use long-long (64-bit) ints, even though that is supposedly implemented.  Using 32-bit long ints is problematic in doing the frequency-tuning-words (FTW).  I’m having a similar problem programming the Si570 with an Arduino, I had to give up on precise calculations, and am using a “close-enough” approximation.

Enjoy.
73,
Terry, WB4JFI