Exponential growth

Andre Kesteloot andre.kesteloot at verizon.net
Tue Jan 8 10:09:40 CST 2013

Richard,

Recently, I heard of a new theory that is emerging about the so-called
forgetfulness of older people.
(I am not referring to mental illnesses, such as whatever we mean by
some symptoms lobbed together as Alzheimer's disease).

Firstly, it would seem that we might want to consider our short-term
memory as a one-bit memory location. Hence any newer input displaces the
previous one.
For instance, you decide to get up to do X. On your way to do X, someone
asks you to fetch Z.
After having done Z, you then ask yourself, /"what else was I supposed
to do?"/
That, some people now say, is because X was placed in that one-bit,
short-term memory, then was replaced by the thought of Z.
X is now somewhere else, disconnected from its context.  It will take
additional effort to retrieve that information.

(on a hard disk, if a pointer is destroyed, finding that data may not be
easy to recover either...:-)

Secondly, that has nothing to do with your wandering in the supermarket
parking lot, mumbling to yourself : "/where is my car/".
That one happens because you never consciously memorized, the
emplacement of your car in the first place.
Apparently, American (native) Indians, when they moved in group, would
task one of theirs to look backwards from time to time, in order to
memorize the view that they would to need to see to be able to return to
their village.

Thirdly, it would seem to depend on our personal level of interest in a
given subject. Reading a police thriller may be  entertaining but I
rarely remember any detail, because I have no active interest in the
subject..
On the other hand, I have been, for a while now, knee-deep in some
chapters of the Summa, and have no problem recalling the various
arguments of Thomas Aquinas.

My 5 cents worth
André N4ICK