ElectricImp.com

Mike O'Dell mo at ccr.org
Sun Jan 20 22:25:19 CST 2013

The skepticism around the plans for this particular bit of digital flotsam
is well-deserved.

however, if adequately hackable, it might be repurposed for other purposes.

in any event, the existence of such a widget is interesting. I wonder if
it's the
same hardware being used for the "Eye-Fi" widget, which plugs into your
camera
and spews bits to your laptoy over the wifi so you don't have to swap cards.
somebody is making those, and i have a good guess as to whose wifi part
is inside - some of the Atheros parts have a twin-core ARM that runs an
IP stack and has lots of room left over.

but it's also a heads-up of what people might be trying to slip into
your toaster and such.

I believe the UK just passed legislation making it a requirement that
customers can reject the installation of "Advanced Metering" precisely
because they don't want information about what they own and how
they use it being available without their approval.  Great idea -
approximately zero probability something like that could get enacted here.

     -mo