[ARDUINO] RE: Continuing with the Arduino theme....

Sean Sheedy sean at theSheedys.com
Sat Jan 26 09:03:42 CST 2013

Another useful hack for the MiniVNA is to wire it to a battery pack and
a Bluetooth USB to Serial converter, and switch it to serial mode
internally.  With Bluetooth on a laptop presenting a serial port, you
can use the same apps, but now the MiniVNA can be relatively remote,
like at a feed point.  I don't recall the details because it has been
several years and I recently misplaced my MiniVNA.

A really nice solution would be to replace the laptop with an Android
phone.  I'm not sure if someone has written an Android app that uses
Bluetooth SPP to communicate with a MiniVNA but that would be a useful
project.  The oldest Android versions won't support Bluetooth SPP, but
phones from about two years back should.  You could dedicate a phone to
this purpose.  Then you would have a completely battery powered solution
with the able to be located some distance from the MiniVNA.

And of course, you can also buy a pair of Bluetooth modules from
Microcenter and use those with the Arduino.  I think they have the
Sparkfun Silver modules.  Replace the serial port between MiniVNA and
Arduino with a pair of these.  IIRC they can be set up so you can pair
them and they'll look like serial devices to the Arduino, with little
fuss. YMMV.

Sean AI4ID