Continuing with the Arduino theme....

Louis Mamakos louie at transsys.com
Sat Jan 26 09:20:32 CST 2013

Another thing you might consider is using Google Hangouts at a video conferencing/sharing arrangement as an alternative to Skype for remote participation.  You can have up to 10 participants.  There is a variation on this called "Google Hangouts on the Air" which is linked to YouTube for view-only broadcast to a large number of viewers.   There's a "chat" feature that the viewers can use to send comments back, and you can have up to 10 live presenters at a time, with the video switching to the active source.  For the "on the air" version, there's also a director's capability to manually select video sources, mute other participants, etc.  It's pretty well done, and works with a generic Google Video/Audio browser plug-in.

The "Hangouts on the air" content is also archived for later, non-realtime consumption.

I've participated in one of these in a weekly "Virtual Star Party", where there are combinations of professional astronomers, amateur astronomers with telescopes and cameras and some educators touring the sky, show live images to the viewers.  It has been going on weekly for a year now, and I only just got involved myself.  It's lots of fun, and a pretty effective way to convey content and meet.  Here's the Virtual Star Party page on google+ https://plus.google.com/u/0/100902337165997768522/posts and a promo video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Agrdjd0nyFo and last week's virtual star party broadcast at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQB_U1tUDlw  (I'm the third from the left, starting with an image of M42).

It's free, and works better than most desktop video conferencing systems I've used in the past.

louie
wa3ymh