FreeDV

fgentges at mindspring.com fgentges at mindspring.com
Sun Jan 27 18:59:23 CST 2013

The transmitted signal of FreeDV is 14 tones.  Each time you double the
number of tones you double the peak to average ratio of the transmitted
signal.  The result is that this type of multitone signal with its high
peaks will overload the RF linear amplifier.

Some years ago we found that with a 1 KW amplifier we needed to run
about 110 watts average power.  That value still had some clipping but
gained enough on the signal to noise such that it worked better.  When
you start with a 5 watt radio you will have to run at a really low level
and not much of anyone will hear  you.  We searched for some way to
improve on that and short of building an amplifier good for huge peaks,
there is not much you can do.

One fellow worked to improve the phase angles of the tones but nothing
much came out of that effort.

Frank K0BRA