80 meter capability

Mike O'Dell mo at ccr.org
Mon Jan 28 11:17:23 CST 2013

hmmm - the interesting question is what do the emission symbols mean?
the imply both modulation technique but they also imply a payload type
and even a payload encoding in some cases.  i thought part 97 used
the emission codes to distinguish different types of operation.

the suggestion that operations be distinguished by actual payload type
rather than payload encoding is at least reasonably clear. that does
mean, however, that PSK31 goes in the RTTY area since it is "text"
while the same type of modulation goes in the voice area when carrying
DV.

the implication is that i think someone (the League) should make a statement
about this approach lest people get into shouting matches over "get that
digital signal down into the digital ghetto with the other digital signals
so we can do our sideband net!"

i'm not trying to be pedantic - far from it - i'm trying to head it off
at the passband,
so to speak.

     -mo