FreeDV

fgentges at mindspring.com fgentges at mindspring.com
Mon Jan 28 21:38:24 CST 2013

Alex,

First, that is a good link to wikipedia on crest factor.  Indeed, that
is the same thing as peak to average ratio.

If we calculate the value for 14 or 16 tones we have to back off the
power amplifier to a really low level to insure the waveform is never
clipped.  A good way to check it when starting out, a good oscilloscope
can show the transmitted waveform and as you raise the power you can see
the clipping start.

If it was a hifi amplifier, you would want to avoid any clipping. For
the digital voice signal, clipping will cause individual tones to cause
trash onto the other tones.  That trash is a form of cross talk and
quickly degrades the digital error rate.  As I said before, a 1 KW
amplifier was found to work over HF circuits at about 110 watts average
power.  That was with 16 tones but would be very similar for 14 tones.

Another problem is that the center tone is used for sync.  The trash
from clipping can spoil sync so we must also take that into account.

In the end, with the 706mk2G I would run it around the same ratio which
would be about 11% or 11 watts average power.   I want to get two FreeDV
terminals running in a lab setup and see how this particular signal
works with clipping and signal to noise ratio. Right now I am only able
to speculate based on prior experience.

I did see at one point where one of the FreeDV authors said his system
was working well at 30 watts average.  That seems high but maybe it is a
good setting.  I want to do some tests and see a scope of the waveform
as it goes into clipping.

On the Navy systems we designed and tested on long haul paths we
observed the digital voice would work when we could not hear the remote
signal coming in and I was really impressed.  We attributed it to
processing gain from the vocoder.  FreeDV should do similarly with the
LPC rather than the vocoder but that waits for us to get some more
experience.

Frank K0BRA