from the IEEE: SOS does not stand for "Save our Ship"

Richard Spargur k3ui at comcast.net
Mon Jan 28 22:03:51 CST 2013

Actually, I know this story from researching the type of radio emissions
made by the Titanic for a research project.  Some of the communications may
have been made using Near Vertical Incident Skywave (NVIS) (Boring, moving
on).  The Titanic used CQD signaling in the beginning; changed to SOS in the
middle, and sent its final signal using the older CQD.  The first know use
of SOS by MGY (call sign for Titanic was MGY) was at 12:45 AM.  The Titanic
radioman used the new signal SOS, but also the CQD, because SOS was new and
CDQ was still in common use.  The change to SOS was new at the time.  SOS
had been adopted by the International Wireless Telegraph Convention
(Convention Radiotélégraphique Internationale), in Berlin, Germany 3 Nov
1906, but CQD was still widely in use 15 April 1912 when the Titanic sank at
2:20 AM.

I am going to take a logic stab at the meaning of SOS.  I have not tried to
translate the various meanings given to SOS i.e. Save Our Ship, etc., but
the Germans first adopted it in 1903.  The rest of the world followed years
later.  I think if it was save our ship it would be “SUS” for “sparen unser
Schiff.“  If they called it a boat it would be SUB.

Yawn, I even bored myself.  Thank you for giving me an opportunity for using
some research information I had for a project, and never used.  Now I can
toss it out.

Titanic time

Message(s)

12-15 a.m

CQD (6 times) DE (this is) MGY (6 times) position 41.44 N. 50.24 W

La Provence and Frankfurt receive Titanic's first distress signals.

Titanic sends position to Frankfurt. Frankfurt says "OK: stand by"

12-15 a.m

Mount Temple heard Titanic sending CQD Says require assistance. Gives
position. Cannot hear me (sic). Advise my Captain (sic) his position at
41.46 N. 50.24 W.

12-15 a.m.

Cape Race coast station hears Titanic giving position on CQD 41.44 N. 50.24
W.

12-18 a.m.

Ypiranga hears CQD from Titanic. Titanic gives CQD here (sic). Position
41.44 N. 50.24 W. Require assistance (calls about 10 times).

12-25 a.m.

Carpathia calls Titanic and says "do you know that Cape Cod is sending a
batch of messages for you ?"

Titanic says "Come at once. We have struck a berg.

It's a CQD OM (it's a distress situation old man) Position 41.46 N. 50.14
W."

Carpathia says "Shall I tell my Captain ?. Do you require assistance ?"

Titanic says "yes, come quick"

12-25 a.m.

Cape Race hears MGY (Titanic) give corrected position 41.46 N. 50.14 W.
Calling him, no answer. (Titanic's 4th Officer Boxhall had just provided a
corrected position to the radio room)

12-25 a.m.

MGY (Titanic) says CQD, Here (is my) corrected position 41.46 N. 50.14 W.
Require immediate assistance. We have collision with iceberg. Sinking. Can
hear nothing for noise of steam (engineers releasing excess steam pressure
from boilers to minimise risk of explosion) Sent about 15 to 20 times to
Ypiranga.

12-26 a.m.

DKF (Prinz Friedrich Wilhelm) calls MGY (Titanic) and gives position at 12
a.m. 39.47 N. 50.10 W.

MGY (Titanic) says, "Are you coming to our ?" "We have collision with
iceberg. Sinking. Please tell Captain to come." DKF says, "O.K. will tell"

12-27 a.m.

Titanic sends following: "I require assistance immediately. Struck by
iceberg in 41.46 N. 50.14 W."

12-30 a.m.

Caronia sent CQ message (message addressed to all ships) to MBC Baltic and
CQD (ie: a distress relay message): MGY (Titanic) struck iceberg, require
immediate assistance

12-30 a.m.

Mount Temple hears MGY (Titanic) still calling CQD. Our (sic) Captain
reverses ship. We are about 50 miles off.

12-34 a.m.

Mount Temple hears Frankfurt give MGY (Titanic) his position 39.47 N. 52.10
W.

Titanic says (to Frankfurt) " are you coming to our

assistance ?"

Frankfurt says : "what is the matter with you ?"

Ttianic says "We have struck an iceberg and sinking. Please tell Captain to
come"

Frankfurt replies "O.K. Will tell the bridge right away"

Titanic says "O.K., yes, quick."

12-45 a.m.

Titanic calls Olympic (Olympic is Titanic's sister ship - 500 miles away en
route to England) SOS - (first use of "SOS" by Titanic- Bride jokingly
suggests to Phillips that it may be his last chance to use the new distress
call).

12-50 a.m.

Titanic calls CQD and says, "I require immediate assistance. Position 41.46
N. 50.14 W." Received by Celtic.

12-53 a.m.

Caronia to MBC (Baltic) and SOS,"MGY (Titanic) CQD in 41.46 N. 40.14 W.
Wants immediate assistance."

1-0 a.m.

MGY gives distress signal. DDC (Cincinatti) replies. MGY's position 41.46 N.
50.14 W. Assistance from DDC (Cincinatti) not necessary as MKC (Olympic)
shortly afterwards answers distress call.

1-0 a.m.

Titanic replies to Olympic and gives his position as 41.46 N. 50.14 W., and
says, "We have struck an iceberg."

1-2 a.m.

Titanic calls Asian and said, "Want immediate assistance" Asian answered at
once and received Titanic's position as 41.46 N. 50.14 W., which he
immediately takes to the bridge. Captain instructs operator to have
Titanic's position repeated.

1-2 a.m.

Virginian calls Titanic but gets no response. Cape Race tells Virginian to
report to his Captain the Titanic has struck iceberg and requires immediate
assistance.

1-10 a.m.

Titanic to MKC (Olympic), "We are in collision with berg. Sinking Head down.
41.46 N. 50.14 W. Come soon as possible."

1-10 a.m.

Titanic to MKC (Olympic), Captain says, "Get your boats ready. What is your
position?"

1-15 a.m.

Baltic to Caronia, "Please tell Titanic we are making towards her."

1-20 a.m

Virginian hears MCE (Cape Race) inform MGY (Titanic) "that we are going to
his assistance. Our position 170 miles N. of Titanic."

1-25 a.m.

Caronia tells Titanic, "Baltic coming to your assistance"

1-25 a.m

Olympic sends position to Titanic 4-24 a.m. G.M.T. 40.52 N. 61.18 W, and
asks "Are you steering southerly to meet us?" Titanic replies, "We are
putting the women off in the boats."

1-27 a.m

Titanic says, "We are putting the women off in the boats."

1-30 a.m

Titanic tells Olympic, "We are putting passengers off in small boats."
"Women and Children in boats, cannot last much longer"

1-35 a.m.

Olympic asks Titanic what weather he had. Titanic replies, "Clear and calm."

1-35 a.m

Baltic hears Titanic say "Engine room getting flooded." (Captain Smith had
just visited the Titanic's radio room and advised this to Phillips and
Bride)

1-35 a.m.

Mount Temple hears DFT (Frankfurt) ask "are there any boats around you
already?" No reply

1-37 a.m.

Baltic tells Titanic, "We are rushing to you."

1-40 a.m.

Olympic to Titanic "Am lighting up all possible boilers as fast as (we)
can."

1-40 a.m.

Cape Race says to Virginia: "Please tell your Captain this: "The Olympic is
making all speed for Titanic, but his (Olympic's) position is 40.32 N. 61.18
W. You are much nearer to Titanic. The Titanic is already putting women off
in the boats, and he says the weather there is calm and clear. The Olympic
is the only ship we have heard say, "Going to the assistance of Titanic. The
others must be a long way from Titanic

1-45 a.m.

Last signals heard from Titanic by Carpathia, "Come as quickly as possible
old man: the engine-room is filling up to the boilers"

1-45 a.m.

Mount Temple hears Frankfurt calling Titanic. No reply.

1-47 a.m.

Caronia hears Titanic though signals unreadable still

Virginia hears Titanic calling very faintly, his power being greatly
reduced.

(At 2-05 a.m. the Captain visits the wireless room for the last time and
says:

"Men, you have done your full duty. You can do no more. Abandon your cabin.
Now it's every man for himself"

Phillips looks up for a second, and then bends over the equipment once more.
Captain Smith tries again "You look out for yourselves. I release you." A
pause, then he adds softly "That's the way of it at this kind of
time....every man for himself" He then leaves the wireless room. Phillips
continues sending)

1-48 a.m.

Asian heard Titanic call SOS Asian answers Titanic but receives no answer.

DFT (Frankfurt) calls Titanic and says, "What is the matter with u ?"

1-50 a.m.

Titanic says to Frankfurt "You fool, stdbi and keep out"

Caronia hears Frankfurt working to Titanic. Frankfurt according to position
172 miles from MGY (Titanic) at time first SOS sent out.

1-55 a.m.

Cape Race says to Virginian "we have not heard Titanic for about half an
hour. His power may be gone."

During this period Phillips and Bride are struggling with a stoker who
entered the wireless room and tried to steal Phillips life jacket. Bride
holds the stoker, while Phillips punches him. The stoker is (presumably)
knocked unconscious.

2-10 a.m.

Virginian hears 2 v's signalled faintly in spark similar to Titanic's (Most
probably Phillips was transmitting a test signal whilst Bride adjusted the
main transmitter motor-generator field regulators to compensate for the
dying power supply from the engine room).

2-17 a.m.

Virginian hears Titanic call CQ (call to all ships) , but unable to read
him. Titanic's signals end very abruptly as (if) power suddenly switched
off. His spark rather blurred or ragged...

(Phillips had actually intended to send "CQD DE MGY", however at this point
there is a loss of all power to the radio room - water can be heard flooding
the wheelhouse - Phillips says to Bride "Come on, let's clear out". Bride
climbs to the roof of the officer's quarters and assists with launching
collapsible lifeboat B - Phillips disappears aft.)

2-17 a.m.

Virginian Called Titanic and suggested he should try emergency set, but
heard no response

2-20 a.m.

Virginian to Olympic,"have you heard anything about Titanic" Olympic says,
"No. Keeping strict watch, but hear nothing more from Titanic. No reply from
him"

about

2-20 a.m.

This was the official time the ship foundered in 41.46 N. 50.14 W. as given
by the Carpathia in message to the Olympic.

2-35 a.m.

Mount Temple hears MPA (Carpathia) send, "If you are there we are firing
rockets."

2-40 a.m.

MPA (Carpathia) calling MGY (Titanic).

2-58 a.m.

SBA (Birma) thinks he hears Titanic so sends, "Steaming full speed for you.
Shall arrive you 6-0 in morning. Hope you are safe. We are only 50 miles
now."

3-0 a.m.

MPA (Carpathia) calling MGY (Titanic)

3-28 a.m.

La Provence to Celtic, "Nobody has heard the Titanic for about 2 hours."

4-24 a.m.

SBA (Birma) says "we are 30 miles S.W. off Titanic".

6-40 a.m.

Parisian hears weak signals from MPA (Carpathia) or some station saying
Titanic struck iceberg. Carpathia has passengers from lifeboats

6-40 a.m.

Asian, with German oil tank in tow for Halifax asked what news of MGY
(Titanic). Sends service (message) later saying heard MGY (Titanic) v. faint
working. C. Race up to 10.0 p.m., local time. Finished calling SOS midnight.

7-40 a.m.

6-45 a.m. Mount Temple hears MPA (Carpathia) report rescued 20 boat loads.

8-07 a.m.

Baltic sends following to Carpathia: "Can I be of any assistance to you as
regards taking some of the passengers from you? Will be in position about
4-30. Let me know if you alter your position."

8-10 a.m.

Baltic in communication with MPA. (Carpathia). Exchanged traffic re
passengers, and get instructions to proceed to Liverpool

8-15 a.m.

Baltic turns round for Liverpool, having steamed 134 miles W. towards
Titanic

8-40 a.m.

Mount Temple hears MPA (Carpathia) call CQ and say, no need to std. Bi
(stand by) him. Advise my Captain (sic), who has been cruising round the
icefield with no result. Ship reversed.

8-45 a.m.

Olympic sent MSG (message) to Owners, New York via Sable Island saying,
"Have not communicated with Titanic since midnight."

8-55 a.m.

Carpathia replies to Baltic, "Am proceeding to Halifax or New York full
speed. You had better proceed to Liverpool. Have about 800 passengers on
board."

9-0 a.m.

Carpathia to Virginian: "We are leaving here with all on board about 800
passengers. Please return to your Northern course."

Transcript recovered from the RMS Titanic Radio Page http://www.hf.ro/#trd

Now that I have thoroughly bored everyone to tears I will close.

     V/R

     Richard K. Spargur

     K3UI