nice instruction video

Robert E. Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Tue Jan 29 22:41:31 CST 2013

Alex Fraser <beatnic at comcast.net> writes:

> Today I remembered the sleeves, but on the first cable I did forget to test
> the first connector and then went ahead put the second one on the other end.
> When you do it that way if it fails the continuity test you have a 50/50
> chance of cutting off the good connector instead of the bad one.   I lucked
> out and it was a good cable.

In such cases I reach for the TDR.  In a pinch (assuming that the
cable is long enough that the antenna analyzer is able to hit the
frequency range) you can use the MFJ259 or similar antenna analyzer to
look right around where the cable is an electrical quarter wave in
length.  If you don't see the needle move, congratulations - you've
hooked the analyzer to the end with the short!

Nothing like using several hundred to several thousand bucks worth of
equipment to keep from having to replace a $2 connector.  That's what
Ham Radio is all about.

-r