Experts warn of cloud snooping

Robert E. Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Fri Feb 1 09:28:13 CST 2013

"fgentges at mindspring.com" <fgentges at mindspring.com> writes:

> If you have not noticed, Microcenter is now selling 1 terabyte drives
> for $70 and 3 terabyte drives for $130.   Best keep your data there.
> I don't want the cloud.

There is no cloud.  There are only other people's disks and CPUs.

I keep backups around on disks.  Off-site, of course, but that
can be annoying and inconvenient to swap out as often as I like.  I'm
considering sending stuff to Amazon Glacier (AES-256 encrypted) and
keeping a copy of the keys off-site in a safe place.  That's probably
OK.

But store stuff there in a format recoverable by unauthorized parties?
Stuff like calendar, email, backups, etc?  Absolutely not.

-r