Interesting ARM processor from TI

Louis Mamakos louie at transsys.com
Wed Feb 6 15:55:11 CST 2013

I do not have experience with that product (or line of micros), so I can't offer you specific device.  If you are looking at stuff in this space, you might also look at the ST Micro eval boards, too.  They are very inexpensive and the STM32 parts also seem to have support for on-board peripherals in some small embedded OS.  I'm using ChibiOS/RT which well supports the STM32F1xx, STM32F2xx, STM32F4xx and STM32L15x series devices as well as some other microprocessor families.

For example, look at the STM32F4DISCOVERY board available from Mouser for $14.55.  It is an eval board that has a STM32F407VGT6 with 192K of RAM, 512K flash and a bunch of peripherals.  Also on-board is the USB-based debugger that you can use to program and debug the micro.  This is an ARM Cortex-M4 device and includes single-precision hardware floating point, which might be interesting for SDR experiments.  At the other end of the spectrum, there's a similar DISCOVERY board for the STM32L152 part, which is a very low power ARM Cortex M3 device.

It's amazing and very exciting the power available for such a very low cost these days.

louie
wa3ymh