Storage

Rob Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Wed Mar 6 18:34:27 CST 2013

Tad <tad at planetisuzoo.com> writes:

> I've never used it, but a number of my coworkers swear by [[http://www.freenas.org/]]  You could get a low power 12v
>  dc system to run it on.  Given the environment I'd go with solid state disks.  The rest of us at work seem to like
> the readynas systems from Netgear.  They come in 2-6 bays for the average user, but I think they are all 110v and it
> 					 would be a hack to run it on DC.

Unfortunately at least one of my friends has been burned by FreeNAS.
As much as I like FreeBSD (what's underneath) apparently when a drive
goes out to lunch in just the right way, you can end up with the
logical vs. physical drives shifted by one in the enclosure.  All
sorts of hilarity ensues when you pull the wrong drive in an already
unhappy RAID.  This is a misfeature of the geom(4) driver.

Solaris doesn't do this...  yes, a bug was filed.

> I too second Crashplan.  Besides that it will let you backup to a friend's machine (or another machine of your own)
>  for free, it lets you set the crypto key on that backup as well as the one that you can pay them to store for you.

yeah, multiple thumb drives in multiple safe deposit boxes for me on that count.  :)

-r