Storage

Dave Skolnick dskolnick at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 07:10:26 CST 2013

> From: wb5mmb <... at pobox.com>
>
> Dave, watch out for dirty 12 volt power especially when the sources
> to the batteries switch. I would think you would almost need a
> "computer 12 Volt bus" powered by a dc to dc converter to filter the
> crud that a consumer grade power supply was not designed to handle.
> Check out http://nomadness.com/ he does not update the blog very
> often but sells a news letter (I don't subscribe) you might find interesting.

Thanks Sandy.

I have thought about power. I have a 675 Ah 12V house battery bank
that is a big filter on noise on the house bus. I think voltage swings
are a bigger issue as the voltage can go as high as 14.6V during bulk
charging from the battery charger or the alternator.

I do have my navigation instruments running off a DC-DC converter.
I'll have to check the spare capacity of that.

Thanks for the link to Steve's website. He and I have been
correspondents for many years. He's a little kooky, but aren't we all?

I have a busy day today but hope to get back to the enclosure search
(now that I have figured out the difference 3.5 and 5.25 *sigh*) this
afternoon. Then on to a long term computer solution.

73 es sail fast de dave KO4MI