Storage

Rob Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Fri Mar 8 04:51:17 CST 2013

I'm curious as to what you're trying to optimize for with that
approach.  It would seem to optimize for finding great devices and
then sub-selecting a user population of blithering idiots, the kind of
people who try to drive screws with wood chisels and seeing how they
manage to blow things up.  You don't strike me as representative of
that population, so I'm wondering...

Between Gaige, my parents, and me we have six of these puppies
floating around, a combination of duets and single slot models (with
one non-blacx).  Never had a problem with any of them except for once
that I was using a cable with a marginal connector.  That was hardly
the toaster's fault.

About the worst criticism I can level at the Blacx (peculiar to the
Duet) is that I've never been able to find out if the embedded eSata
port multiplier will support FIS or just CBS switching.  I considered
prying the thing apart and looking for chip numbers, but I've been
lazy.

By the way, if you think the DIY solutions for RAID5 look bad, don't
look at the packaged solutions without a paramedic standing by.  And
unless you like tearing your hair out don't even THINK of a Drobo.

-r