arduino

Alberto di Bene dibene at usa.net
Thu Mar 21 10:58:26 CDT 2013

On 3/21/2013 4:00 PM, Rob Seastrom wrote:

> /With all due respect to the folks who say "$PLATFORM is better than
> Arduino, you should skip the arduino and buy X or Y", you're rather
> missing the point.
>
> I've had encounters with a few embedded microcontrollers and SOCs.  If
> you don't know what you're doing, getting JTAG, ISP, or however they
> want to be programmed up and running is non-trivial.  Good luck on
> non-Windows platforms, and a lot of the time the dev kit is spendy too.
>
> The thing that the Arduino has going for it above all is that it's
> pretty plug-and-chug; getting to "Hello World" is a 5 minute
> operation, and it's something that a bright 10 year old can do without
> help (I've seen it firsthand).

> /

Duuh, I didn't intend to ruin your love affair with Arduino. My goal was just that of
alerting all those interested, and willing to spend just a couple of minutes more
after having plugged it in an USB port under Windows, after having loaded the
provided drivers, to start the (free) toolchain to code just a few lines in C
to say "Hello" to the world...

I used Arduino in the past, and, believe me, this STM board is not much more
complicated to use than it, is fully supported under Windows, has plenty of
free libraries available, and, as said, the Cortex ARM M4 is much more powerful than
the Atmel AVR.  After all, even Arduino with its Arduino 2 board, did convert to
the ARM family of CPUs...

73  Alberto  I2PHD