arduino

Chip Fetrow tacos at fetrow.org
Sun Mar 24 06:06:00 CDT 2013

Do you need a center tap neutral?

If not, just buy a 240 to 120 Volt step down transformer and run it in
reverse.  Cut the neutral lead on what is now the primary and put a
small wire nut on it.  You really don't want it to find ground.  I
have done this several times.

The first was when I used adjustable audio oscillators into Crown D-60
amplifiers.  They will easily put out 70 Volts (for 70 Volt audio
distribution).  Wired to a step down transformer in reverse, I was
able to to have 120 Volts, with the actual Voltage set by the volume
control.  These installations were used to vary the speed of broadcast
turntables which had synchronous motors.

I also used a 480 Volt to 208 Volt three phase transformer in reverse
to power nine high power strobes on a tall tower.  It worked well on
mains power, but the strobes drove the Onan generator nuts.  I didn't
need 277 Volt lighting on the tower, so the neutral was not needed
(and never available on the primary side, so not available when the
transformer is used in reverse).

When I called for the county electrical inspection, the inspector
asked for the electricians seal.  I told him I did the wiring.  He
said the electricians "self inspect."  I had to hire an electrician to
"go over" my work and place his seal on the box.  Well, that didn't go
well.

My work is always well above code, and this was no exception.  The
electrician obviously was not familiar with three phase power.  He
wanted the neutral connected.  I explained that if we did that any
imbalance current would flow through that wire.  As much as I
explained and even protested, he insisted.

Finally, I figured the worst that could happen is we burn the
insulation off some 12 gauge wire, so I told him we will hook it up,
then measure the current once the breaker was closed.  If it was
unreasonably high, he would agree it didn't need to be connected.  So,
I connected it and closed the breaker.  The current was about six
times the total of the three legs.  He agreed that was wrong, and gave
up.  He never did understand the issue/problem.  I learned something
interesting though.  Out of 720 Amperes our unbalance current was only
60 Amperes, or less than 10%.  I was proud of how I had balanced the
loads on the three phases.  That isn't a proper way to measure
imbalance though.

I really was scared as hell we would start a fire though.

Anyway, any decent electrical shop should be able to provide the small
transformer you need.

One other thing; you might be able to rewire the motor to operate on
120 Volts, then power it from one leg to neutral as opposed to two legs.

--chip