Anybody have any thermally conductive tape

Chip Fetrow tacos at fetrow.org
Sun Mar 24 17:17:01 CDT 2013

Hmmmm.

If it is Kapton, it is not a very good heat transmitter.  It is,
however, a very good high Voltage insulator.

I have rebuilt a large number of plate blocker capacitors in grounded
grid FM transmitters.  Mostly 20 or 25 kW.  The plate Voltage is
generally between 10 to 15 kV.

The plate blocker wraps around the fins on the final tube.  The tube
is at HV, and the other side is at or near ground because a short link
couples the RF to the output.

Bad stuff happens.  The Teflon gets punched, then arcs happen more and
more often.

One way to fix it is to remove the Teflon and wrap it in the opposite
direction.  It is generally about seven wraps.  Taking a plate blocker
apart is a bit of a chore.

I would screw it down to a board.  Put dry ice chips inside the
capacitor (where the tube would live) and heat the outside with a
propane torch.  Eventually, they become enough different in size that
they could be pulled apart.  Why do this?  Because the replacement
part costs many thousands of Dollars.

Replacing the Teflon with Kaptron is not difficult.  I don't recall
exactly the number of wraps, but I believe it took fewer wraps to get
the same Capacitance.  Different thicknesses would change the number
of wraps.  You only need to get fairly close on Capacitance, because
you can tune it out.  It is a bit of a "building a new transmitter
problem" when you first start out, but if you know what you are
doing....

However, Kapton has a MUCH higher Voltage rating, so it wouldn't fail.

Teflon would.  A hole would be punched, then it would arc frequently,
causing a plate overload in the transmitter, which was hard to find.

Also, Teflon is white, but Kapton is purple.  It looks cool in the PA
cabinet.

--chip