NPR Equipment Auction

Mike ODELL mo at ccr.org
Sat Apr 6 06:10:21 CDT 2013

while everything Chip says rings true, there is a resurgence of recording
to analog tape and even pressing vinyl. as a result, some genuinely
silly prices are being paid for "vintage" analog gear these days by the
big studios wanting something to brag about.

the items that I saw to drool over we're the Studer tape machines,
especially the 24-track in the one studio. and there are some compressors
that will probably bring a handsome bounty.

the one other aspect of the auction is I got to see pictures of some boxes
which I figured had to exist in some form but didn't know we're to look
to see how they pulled off the trick. I'm speaking of the ISDN codecs
that allow origination from remotes with quality that sounds indistinguishable
from studio live, at least coming out of my decent FM radio speaker.
I imagine they are tuned to speaking voice to a fair-the-well,
but it's still impressive when you grew up listing to remotes done
over analog phone loops.

     - mo

Sent from my iPad so please excuse the jammy fingers.

On Apr 5, 2013, at 11:50 PM, Chip Fetrow <tacos at fetrow.org>