Signaling on the RR

Karl W4KRL W4KRL at dcm-va.com
Tue Apr 9 19:52:41 CDT 2013

Wireline Morse was used into the early '70s. I saw a woman tower operator
using Morse on the B&O in Pittsburgh in the mid-70s. The tower operator at
Hyndman, PA was a ham. Can't remember his call; something like W3RFO.

Now all the wirelines are gone and Morse with them. One of the early users
of fiber optics was the Southern Pacific Railroad. You may have heard of the
Southern Pacific Railroad Internal Network Telecommunications.

The last stretch of manned towers in the US was on the old B&O from
Washington to Pittsburgh. These were "Armstrong" towers as seen in the
British video. They were taken out of service in 2007. Now everything on CSX
is controlled out of Jacksonville, FL. That is why a thunderstorm in Florida
can disrupt VRE commuter trains.

Read http://railroadfan.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=2
<http://railroadfan.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5832> &t=5832

Look at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLbNep-0nSY to see how it was done in