fun with metronomes

Frank Eliot feliot at his.com
Thu Apr 25 09:05:13 CDT 2013

They are mechanically coupled. Notice toward the end of the video that the base that they are all resting on is moving. Years ago I saw a demo of two pendulums, each swinging from a bar drilled into a brick basement wall and several feet apart. Each pendulum was driven by a magnetic kick each time it passed through dead center, similar to the Foucault pendulum at the Smithsonian. Over a period of days, the two pendulums would synchronize. As I recall, they put an air baffle between them to eliminate air currents. It was apparently the very small movement of the brick wall that synched them up.