Cheap Fun with the RTL-SDR

fgentges at mindspring.com fgentges at mindspring.com
Sat Apr 27 10:28:31 CDT 2013

I picked up an RTL-SDR at the Timonium hamfest for $20 and found it was
most useful.  It was originally made to tune European TV and seems to
have been made in the millions.  As good AMRADers we enjoy using them
differently from the original design.

Essentially it tunes from 60-1700 MHz when plugged into my notebook
computer on which I run the software SDR#.  On further search there is a
bunch of data out there.  I did a Google search on

Realtek SDR RTL-SDR Receiver schematic

Here is some useful info on the dongles I came up with:

http://superkuh.com/rtlsdr.html

http://sdr.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/rtl-sdr

http://makearadio.com/visitors/nick-sdr3.php

http://www.ab9il.net/software-defined-radio/rtl2832-sdr.html
Talks about USB noise spoiling SDR performance

Search on eBay for rtl-sdr and you can find them for $10.16 with free
shipping.  I bought one under the title:

ON SALE! Practical RTL-SDR FM+DAB DVB-T Dongle Stick RTL2832+ R820T
SPC-0155
<http://www.ebay.com/itm/ON-SALE-Practical-RTL-SDR-FM-DAB-DVB-T-Dongle-Stick-RTL2832-R820T-SPC-0155-/330838022705?pt=US_Video_Capture_TV_Tuner_Cards&hash=item4d077b9a31>

This is indeed cheap fun.

Frank K0BRA