Speed of light may not be constant, physicists say

Phil philmt59 at aol.com
Mon Apr 29 18:21:58 CDT 2013

Yawn. This is so not new, it's even been on BBC TV's "Horizon" documentary series months ago.

The daft thing that doesn't appear to be considered is that the data to support this comes from radiation travelling across the universe, and the scientists appear to assume that the universe constitutes a vacuum. It doesn't. Apart from the scientists' quantum doodads, there is matter out there. Thin stuff, very very thin. But travel many, many light years through very thin stuff and the fact that the refractive index of infinite space isn't exactly unity will become apparent - and light will be slowed down.

We know that the speed of light isn't constant. Nobody ever said it was. They said it was constant in vacuo.

(Sometimes I worry that young people the calibre of some of my poor, ignorant, badly-schooled students are actually becoming the scientists of tomorrow.)

Skeptical Phil M1GWZ