Rebuilding the NEXT PC on which the first Web page was published...

wb4jfi at knology.net wb4jfi at knology.net
Tue Apr 30 17:45:01 CDT 2013

From: Joseph Bento
Sent: Tuesday, April 30, 2013 6:33 PM
To: tacos at amrad.org
Subject: Re: Rebuilding the NEXT PC on which the first Web page was published...

On 4/30/2013 5:59 AM, Iain McFadyen wrote:

  Techs at CERN are trying to recreate the computer on which the very first Web page was published.

  They have the ORIGINAL hardware, but are looking for the original software to authentically recreate it.

  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22349193

  I'm sure Frank has a copy somewhere... ;-)

The original is probably on a 5.25... no, 8-inch floppy rendered unreadable due to the ravages of time.

Joe, N6DGY

If it is a NEXT, it’s probably on optical, not magnetic media.  I remember Howard Cunningham showed an early Next computer at an AMRAD meeting, which had ONLY an optical drive.  It took practically the whole meeting for it to boot up.... at least that’s what I remember.

BTW, I can still boot up and read 8-inch floppies on my Imsai computer – so time has not ravaged them all.  SS/SD, but it works. I still have much of both the CP/M and another user group’s library.  I also have an Altair 8800 and an Altair 8800b turnkey, but they haven’t been powered up in about seven years now.  How about a nice game of chess?
Terry, WB4JFI