Found a new broadcast station in Fairfax

Robert Stratton bob at stratton.net
Thu May 2 16:13:39 CDT 2013

Did 66 move? When I was in high school, my stepfather worked for them. One night we noticed the audio go out, then the picture became slightly fuzzy, so we drove out in a rain storm (which seemed a lot farther than Fairfax) and discovered that the antenna must have taken a lightning strike right down the waveguide, setting the insides of the transmitter on fire.

There was a radio station (I believe unrelated) in the same building, separated by a cinder block wall. They had no idea that there was a transmitter burning right next door to them.

--Bob S.