Chinese 'throwaway' radios

Iain McFadyen ki4hlv at gmail.com
Fri May 3 08:56:15 CDT 2013

Thanks for the responses:

*  Yes, I considered checking around for other failed UV-5Rs, in case
someone has had an RF failure for example. I will be taking the cover off
to investigate the ease of replacement, in case the LCD is planted directly
to the main circuit board. Given that I am in Trinidad though, this project
is likely to wait till I am next in USA or UK before searching for other
failed devices.

*  Regrettably, radio items shipped to Trinidad are heavily scrutinized.
Application for permission to import radio equipment is expected to be
sought in advance of its arrival, with evidence of FCC or other approvals
attached to the application. Hand-carry items are obviously less strictly
investigated.

* Amateur Radio stations here must list make, model, serial numbers of all
transmitting devices on the application for a local or reciprocal license.
On the TATT website, the form EC_01 is required for each piece of
equipment, (giving evidence of type approval), and then on form L-2 the
serial numbers must be entered.
https://tatt.org.tt/Forms/EquipmentCertificationApplicationFormEC_01/tabid/116/language/en-US/Default.aspx

xyl is currently planning a trip. I may just order online and drop ship to
McLean in time for her to hand-carry the item minus the boxes etc.