BeagleBone-Black

Louis Mamakos louie at transsys.com
Fri May 3 21:37:31 CDT 2013

It does, however, have a couple of embedded RISC microcontrollers ("PRU" - Programmable Real-Time Unit) which can be used to do various tricks with the I/O pins that might be interesting for some applications.  Sort of what the PIC devices could do; complex programmable bit-banging and I/O vs. having dedicated or special purpose hardware peripherals.  These microcontrollers have some sort of mailbox communication means with the ARM core so that they can each get the other's attention.

http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/Programmable_Realtime_Unit_Subsystem

For example, make a few more extra "soft" UARTs:  http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/Soft-UART_Implementation_on_AM335X_PRU_-_Software_Users_Guide

The Beaglebone Black looks really neat; more I/O pins than the RPi.  I might have to get one, hopefully it won't end up on the pile of all the other cool widgets.

louie
wa3ymh