BeagleBone-Black

Mike O'Dell mo at ccr.org
Sat May 4 11:32:29 CDT 2013

the Arduino is *wonderful* for *some* tasks.
It is an utterly frustrating waste of time for others.
Debugging with a JTAG interface is not my idea
of a good time.

that's also the problem with the r.pi - it's the VIC20 of ARM Linux boards.
if you read the r.pi list, a *lot* of people are getting very frustrated
because they went in with inflated expectations caused by the enthusiasm
of a $35 linux board. the $45 beagleboard-black is a *much* better use
of the $35 even if it does need another $10. it has enough additional
resources that you don't keep barking your shins stumbling around in
a too-small motel room in the dark. The software integration is a much
better job, too. again, another source of huge frustration on the r.pi list.

As for the necessity of using Windoze, the spark-gap CW of computing,
You DO NOT have to dual-boot anything, certainly not in any way that
involves modifying your Windoze machine in any manner other than
booting it from a CD.

All the reasonable Linux installations come with "Live CDs" now.
just boot your machine from the CD or DVD and it runs Linux
without ever acknowledging the existence of Windoze unless you
want it to. Want a persistent environment, several can put your
home directory on a USB flash stick so the CD and the flash stick
do everything and your Windoze machine is involate.
(Some will install the Linux world on a big flash stick and keep your
home directory there, too. Some machines have trouble booting
from flash sticks, though, so the CD and the stick are more general
purpose.)

Andre, I don't think you're a luddite, but the argument that a Unicycle
is easier to learn than a Bicycle because it has one less wheel to control
is just wrong. There are times when not only Less is just Less, it's
actually
Not Enough to be worth the trouble. This the essence of the difference
between "inexpensive" and "cheap".

     cheers,
     -mo