AMRAD discussion and challenge

Alex Fraser beatnic at comcast.net
Mon May 6 16:36:51 CDT 2013

Good topic.  I have some thoughts.

First an analysis`,`,`~+

     DC area, federal money, contractors, military, hoards of talented
engineers some linked by a common like for amateur radio and finding
each other with a 2 meter repeater.  I would have been surprised if they
hadn't come up with some good idea/projects.   The area was growing in
the 70's~80's but wasn't crazy manic like it is today.  Getting together
was fairly easy and driving only an occasional problem.  I live in
Woodbridge and it is only 20 miles by road to Tippy's but that is 40
miles round trip in DC traffic on Saturday, which these days ain't a
pleasure ride.

     I'm originally from Baltimore and that is where I became a ham. I
was a member of BRATS and active on the repeater.  Baltimore is close
enough to DC to be affected and there were many engineers in the club.
We did technical stuff and it was fun.  People of course knew of AMRAD
and to me it seemed more than a geographically located ham radio club.
It also seemed to be a techie mecca and a bit exotic so when I came to
live in Silver Spring in the  80's I sought AMRAD out.  I used to do
packet into the AMRAD digipeater and for that matter downloaded my
packet software off of the dial up BBS. My experience with AMRAD has
always been through computer telecommunications!

     So here we are in the present (well I hope so, please no comments
from the Quantumnista...).   It is a bit harder to get around.  People
have aged and the traffic is horrible.  We have people in the club from
far away places like South Carolina, England and Woodbridge.  The
internet has exploded.  There are world wide hobbies based on websites,
a total acceptance of virtual community and odd combo of a shrinking
world, yet where places seem harder to get to.  There have been
discussions on this list over the years about it's format. Let's see,
where to place your quote, ASCII text only, no HTML and so on.  I think
this is very odd.  I have the feeling that one reason for this is
similar to a reason  people used on keeping the Morse code as a
requirement to being a ham, that being it restricts access or more to
the point "keeps out the riff raff".  People's expectations have changed
on what they expect from telecommunications.  They expect a feeling of
virtual community, they take for granted all the bells and whistles,
like file storage and retrieval, auto linking and inclusion of non text
elements (video, imagery etc.).

Now some thoughts on what to do`,`,`~+

     Ham radio is about electronic communication.  Oh yes in particular
radio communication, but I want to emphasize the communication part
because it puts us in a good position in this tech crazy world.  Imagine
the role of ham radio morphing into a net control for technical
hobbyists.  We could be technical aggregators.  I think hams in many
ways already are in that role, so it would only be a matter of saying it
loud and saying it proud.

     What would this involve?
         We would have to redo the AMRAD web presence.

             -AMRAD should have a Facebook presence.

             -AMRAD should have a Youtube presence.

             -The AMRAD website is very good, but it lacks a forum and a
wiki.  I realize this would be a lot of work and take a while.  The
organization would have                 to make it a priority for the
next couple of years.  People would have to be recruited, trained or
whatever to maintain the site.  Once you got a good
forum  going, dump the Facebook.   Keep the Youtube for the free bandwidth.

           Remember folks "A virtual trip of a thousand miles begins
with the first click".

--
        No electrons were harmed in the creation of this message