Be afraid...

Mike O'Dell mo at ccr.org
Tue May 7 22:46:48 CDT 2013

Do not confuse the Makerbot Replicator with production 3D printers
operated by service bureaus.
My understanding is that the "printed gun" was produced at a service
bureau.

Some 3D printers can produce metal parts using laser sintering or laser
fusion of metal "dust".
NASA is going to flight-test laser-fused components of the J-2X rocket
engine done with a 3D printer.

Other 3D printers use UV-induced polymerization of resins and the
resulting structures are
highly cross-linked. Mix some carbon nanotubes in with the resin and the
resulting composite
can have remarkable properties.

Given that the modulus of elasticity of unidirectional carbon fiber is
*far* in excess
of stainless steal, filament-wound or tape-wound structures are readily
capable
of containing the pressures significantly in excess of that in handguns.
Solid-fuel rocket engine casings are one such example.

I am not particularly surprised that this is doable, knowing how
aggressively
the 3D printing competitors are advancing the state of the art. You
won't have
a really good one at home any time soon (unless you are a serious
experimenter
of the sort that, in an alternate universe, would spend $30-50 Grand on a
world-class contesting station), but you can have a 3D printer which is
the equivalent
of the "5-tube wonder" AM radio. It's not all that far to TV, FM Stereo,
and Ham Transcievers.

This is one of those things I'm not about to bet against. I might not
get the "when" right,
but the "if" is much more likely than not.

    -mo